Known for their intelligence, energy, and love of people, there’s a reason why so many people have fallen madly in love with Boston Terriers. However, if they aren’t given enough of an opportunity to burn off their mental and physical strength, you may find that they start developing destructive tendencies.
This is especially true if they are left by themselves for a long period of time without anything to keep them entertained. And, let’s face it, those shoes you’ve left lying around or that irresistible-looking corner of your coffee table are no match for the powerful jaws of a Boston Terrier!
So, how do you stop your Boston Terrier from becoming a whirlwind of chaos and destruction when you’re not at home? The solution is pretty simple – give them a variety of toys to play with. Even when you are at home, offering them a toy and playing with them is a great way to establish a strong bond.
A quick online search will bring up loads of dog toy suggestions, but what are the best Boston Terrier toys? Below, you’ll find a selection of five toys that your Boston Terrier will absolutely love and, most importantly, keep them entertained!
1. Chuckit Ultra Ball
Nothing tires a Boston Terrier out quite like a game of fetch, and the Chuckit Ultra Ball is guaranteed to get them running! Made from extra-thick natural rubber, it’s highly durable and can withstand the pressure of your dog’s eager jaws chomping down on it.
Despite being so strong, the Ultra Ball is lightweight enough to float in the water. This makes it a perfect toy for any Boston Terrier who likes diving into rivers or streams in pursuit of a ball. It’s also ideal for playing along the beach, as there’s less risk of it getting lost in the sea.
The natural rubber used to make the Ultra Ball has a high-bounce factor, too. This will encourage your Boston Terrier to leap and jump as they try to catch it, tiring them out even more in the process.
Its orange and blue colors are within a dog’s visible color spectrum, so they will be able to see it clearly as it soars through the air. These bright colors also help you find it again if your Boston Terrier isn’t able to! And, when you’re done playing, the smooth rubber surface makes it easy to wipe the ball clean so it’s ready to use next time.
- Made from extra-thick natural rubber – highly durable and won’t bend out of shape even when chewed
- Floats in the water – ideal for any Boston Terrier who likes playing in the water
- High-bounce factor – encourages your dog to leap and jump high, giving them more intense exercise and helping to tire them out
- Visible to dogs – the orange and blue colors are on a dog’s visible color spectrum, so it will be more engaging for them to play with
- Easy to clean – simply wipe with a cloth to remove any dirt and slobber
- Expensive – while this is undoubtedly a tough, engaging toy for Boston Terriers, it does cost more than you might expect to pay for a ball
2. Benebone Wishbone Dog Chew
If your Boston Terrier is more a fan of chewing than they are chasing, this Wishbone Dog Chew from Benebone makes a fantastic choice. The patented curved wishbone design allows them to get a good grip on it, while the lumps and ridges are designed to satisfy their need to chew!
The shape of this toy will help to clean your dog’s teeth while they chew as well. So, not only will they be kept entertained, but they will also be cleaning their teeth without even realizing it.
Unlike many dog chews, there’s no need to worry about this toy getting completely destroyed in a few short hours. This is because it’s made from nylon rubber which is highly durable while still being non-toxic and totally safe for dogs to chew on.
This wishbone dog chew comes in four different sizes, with the medium size being best suited for Boston Terriers. It’s also available in three flavors (bacon, chicken, and peanut butter), making it practically irresistible!
- Patented wishbone design – makes it easier for your dog to get a good grip on their toy
- Cleans while they play – the curved shape, lumps, and ridges help clean away plaque while your dog chews
- Super durable – made from tough, nylon rubber that isn’t too easy to chew through
- Perfectly sized for a Boston Terrier – the medium-sized chew is ideal for keeping a Boston Terrier entertained without causing potential damage to their jaw
- Comes in three flavors – choose between chicken, bacon, and peanut butter, all of which are irresistible to dogs
- Smells quite strong – your Boston Terrier won’t mind this, but a human nose might find the smell of this toy a little overwhelming
3. KONG Classic Dog Toy
The KONG Classic is one of the most iconic dog toys ever produced and it’s perfect for providing both mental and physical stimulation. It can also be used in a couple of different ways, offering you excellent value for money and soon becoming your Boston Terriers’ favorite toy!
The first way of using the KONG Classic is as a fetch toy. The unique design means that it has an unpredictable bounce pattern, making it more engaging than a simple ball. It’s also made from extremely tough rubber, so there’s no need to worry about it getting bent out of shape when your dog clasps it between their teeth and brings it back to you.
This super-tough construction is also very useful for its second purpose. The small hole located at the bottom of the toy allows you to stuff the KONG Classic with treats. Your dog will have to work hard to get these out by chewing and throwing their toy into the air.
This makes it an excellent choice for keeping them entertained while you’re not at home.
It is available in 6 different sizes, but it’s the medium or large sizes that would be the best choice for a Boston Terrier. If you’re looking for a way to keep your dog engaged, prevent destructive behaviors, and even help with teething, the KONG Classic is an essential addition to your Boston Terrier’s toy box!
- Multipurpose dog toy – can be used to play fetch or as a chew toy
- Unpredictable bounce pattern – the curved shapes mean that, when thrown, the KONG Classic will bounce in multiple directions to keep your dog more engaged
- Can be stuffed with treats – ideal for keeping your Boston Terrier entertained when you’re away from home
- Durable – the tough rubber construction is virtually indestructible and won’t bend out of shape over time
- Available in 6 sizes – choose medium or large for a Boston Terrier
- Hard to clean inside – while this dog toy is dishwasher safe, it can be quite difficult to remove any ingrained dirt on the inside if you don’t have a dishwasher
4. ZippyPaws Woodland Friends Burrow
Does your Boston Terrier prefer soft, stuffed toys over balls and chews? If they do, then they’ll absolutely love this Woodland Friends Burrow from ZippyPaws. This is more than just a plush toy, though. It’s an interactive game that is designed to keep your dog mentally engaged while they play with it.
This dog toy consists of a soft log and three super cute chipmunks. The idea of the game is to stuff the logs with the chipmunks and let your Boston Terrier work out the best way to free them from inside the log.
This is harder than it sounds too, as the holes are slightly smaller than the stuffed chipmunks. This means that they’ll really have to work to get them out. And, to make things even more entertaining, each chipmunk is stuffed with a squeaker that will sound every time your dog bites into them.
This is an excellent toy for keeping any Boston Terrier entertained for a long period of time. It’s also a great choice for adding more variety to their toy chest, rather than solely relying on dog chews. It’s a particularly useful toy if you’d like to keep your Boston Terrier entertained without using treats as a reward system, too.
- Soft toy – perfect for Boston Terriers who prefer stuffed animals over balls and chew toys
- Interactive – designed to keep your dog mentally engaged for a long period of time
- Stuffed with squeakers – inspires excitement and spurs your dog on in their quest to free the chipmunks from their log
- A non-food based reward system – ideal if you’re trying to monitor your dog’s calorie intake but still want to keep them entertained
- Easily destroyed – depending on your dog’s personality, they may find it quite easy to shred to chipmunks once they’ve found them
5. Outward Hound Hide N’ Slide Interactive Treat Puzzle
If you like the idea of an interactive toy but you’d prefer something a little sturdier, this Hide N’ Slide Interactive Treat Puzzle from Outward Hound could be an excellent choice. The durable plastic and wood composite construction is harder to destroy than stuffed toys. It also features non-removable parts, so there’s no risk of any choking hazards.
This dog toy works by hiding and concealing treats in two different ways. You can hide them behind the swivel-flippers which your dog will need to figure out how to open with their paws or tongue. Or, for an extra challenge, you can stuff them in the blocks in the top opening which requires extra steps to reveal the treat!
The non-slip design helps to keep this interactive dog toy firmly in place while it’s being played with, no matter how rough things get. It’s also BPA, PVC, and Phthalate-free, so there’s no risk of your dog ingesting any toxic chemicals as they try to get to the hidden treats.
Keeping this dog toy clean is easy and it can be placed straight in the dishwasher when your dog has finished with it. This doesn’t only make it easier to clean off any treats that have stuck to the toy, but it also gives you the ability to sterilize it so it’s ready to use next time.
- Interactive – keeps your dog mentally engaged while they try and work out how to get to the hidden treats
- Offers two ways of concealing treats – allows you to create more of a challenge if it’s becoming too easy
- Non-toxic, durable construction – made from BPA, PVC, and Phthalate-free plastic and wood composite
- Non-slip base – keeps the toy firmly in place at all times
- Easy to clean – can be put in the dishwasher for thorough cleaning and sterilization
- May become easy too quickly – even though there are two different ways of concealing the treats, this is a “Level 2” toy so your Boston Terrier may figure it out a bit too quickly
When it comes to finding the best toys for a Boston Terrier, variety is definitely the spice of life! To put it simply, it’s worth giving your furry friend a good number of toys to choose from rather than relying on a single toy that they may soon get bored of.
Below, we’ll take a look at three different types of toys that you should consider adding to your Boston Terrier’s toy chest. We’ll also look at some of the things you should consider when you’re choosing their toys to make sure they are kept engaged and safe while they play.
Type of Toy
The first toy that every Boston Terrier should have access to is a good-quality ball. This is great for playing fetch with their human, as well as throwing into the air by themselves when the mood takes them.
Chews should also be a part of your Boston Terrier’s toy selection. Chewing is a great way for any dog to spend some downtime and keeps them both mentally and physically engaged without them having to run around.
An extra bonus comes from giving your Boston Terrier a chew toy as well – it helps their teeth. As they play with it, the chew toy will help remove any plaque and tartar that’s built up on their teeth. This reduces the risk of developing dental issues while giving them something to keep them occupied. It’s a win-win situation!
The third type of toy your Boston Terrier should have access to is an interactive toy. These come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, but the main objective is pretty much the same – rewarding intelligence with a treat.
Boston Terriers are extremely intelligent dogs. So, giving them an interactive puzzle to work on will help them steer their intellectual curiosity to the right place instead of it manifesting as destructive tendencies.
It doesn’t matter how many of each type of toy you give your Boston Terrier, the main thing you need to be certain about is that it’s made from non-toxic material. Dogs explore their toys using their mouths and, as such, the risk of them ingesting part of them is quite high.
BPA, PVC, and Phthalate-free materials are all good choices when choosing a toy for a Boston Terrier. These are all non-toxic so, if anything does get accidentally swallowed, they won’t poison your dog. They also won’t leach any chemicals into the treats you’ve placed into an interactive toy.
There is a common misconception that the bigger a dog toy is, the tougher it will be for your Boston Terrier to destroy. However, while there is a certain amount of truth to this, you could actually be causing a lot of damage to your dog’s teeth if you give them the wrong size chew toy.
Across the board, the best size chew toy for Boston Terrier is medium or large. However, this does vary between brands, so it’s extremely important to check before you purchase. Doing this will help protect their teeth, gums, and their jaw.
Most chew toys, and even some balls, come in a variety of flavors. This is ideal for generating interest in the toy, as they are much more likely to go for a toy that smells of something they love over a scent-free piece of plastic.
However, one thing to keep in mind is that you also have to live with the smell that each flavored toy produces! And, what might seem irresistible to your Boston Terrier may smell absolutely disgusting to you.
This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t treat them to their favorite flavor, though. Instead, just give them the toy as a special treat as you leave the house.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best toy for a Boston Terrier?
Boston Terriers should have access to various toys, including balls, chew toys, and interactive games. This will help them manage their energy better as well as reduce the chances of them getting bored and developing destructive tendencies.
Can Boston Terriers play fetch?
Yes, they can! In fact, Boston Terriers love a good game of fetch. However, don’t throw any old balls around for them.
Read: Step-byStep: How To Teach Your Boston Terrier To Fetch!
Go for something durable enough to withstand their powerful jaws. It’s even better if you can find a ball in orange or blue, such as the Chuckit Ultra Ball as these colors are visible to your dog, so they’ll be able to spot it much more easily.