Do you have a child that is always asking for a puppy? Are you looking for a way to surprise them with one? If so, then you have come to the right place! In this blog post, we will share with you fourteen of the best ways to surprise your child with a puppy.
No matter if you’re planning on giving a puppy to your kiddo as a Christmas Gift, Birthday Gift, Easter Gift, or Bar Mitzvah / Bat Mitzvah Gift, we have you covered!
Plus, be sure to check out the videos below of real parents surprising their kids with puppies.
How To Surprise A Child With A Puppy As A Gift
Here we have ways to surprise a child with a gift then below, we listed out your plan of action once you’ve decided to get a puppy as a gift.
NOTE: Only give a puppy as a gift to a child if you are the parent of the child or if you have the parent’s permission.
Puppies can be a lot of fun for children, but they need someone to take care of them, and that person should be someone who is responsible.
14 Ways To Surprise A Child With A Puppy
1. Hide the puppy in a room that the child frequently visits, such as their bedroom or playroom.
2. Have a family member or friend bring the puppy over, disguised as an unrelated item (e.g., gift-wrapped in a box).
3. Take the child to the animal shelter and have them choose their own puppy.
4. Ask a neighbour who has puppies if it’s possible for your child to visit them and surprise them with one of their puppies as a gift.
5. Bring home a puppy-shaped balloon that contains all of the details about getting a real puppy (breed, size etc.).
6. Wrap up some essential items such as bedding, food, and toys and announce they are getting a puppy.
7. Place the puppy in your child’s room while they sleep, so that when they wake up, there is a surprise waiting for them.
8. Create a scavenger hunt around your house with clues leading to their new pup!
9. Taking the child for a walk and coming across a puppy along the way.
10. Asking the child to help you with a chore, such as taking out the trash, and then rewarding them with a puppy at the end.
11. Have a family member or friend bring over their puppy for a visit and then ask if the child can keep it.
12. Buying the child a stuffed animal that looks like a puppy and telling them it is their new pet.
13. Planting flowers with the child and finding a puppy hiding among the flowers when they are done.
14. Bring the puppy along on a special outing or trip and reveal the puppy to your child when they get in the car.
Videos Of Parents Surprising Their Kids With A Puppy!
Here are three compilation video ideas from real parents surprising their kids with a puppy. Enjoy watching these!
Planning Your Puppy Gift Surprise For Your Child
1. Plan Ahead
If you’re planning to surprise your child with a puppy as a gift, it’s important to plan ahead. You’ll need to make sure that you have all of the supplies that you’ll need for your new puppy, including food, a crate, a bed, toys, and more.
You’ll also need to find a reputable breeder or shelter that can provide you with a healthy and well-behaved puppy.
If you need help choosing a dog breed, check out this questionnaire that can help you decide which breed is for you on the American Kennel Club website: Dog Breed Selector.
2. Choose the Right Puppy
When choosing a puppy as a gift for your child, it’s important to choose one that will be a good fit for your family. If you have other pets, make sure to choose a breed that is compatible with them. If your child has allergies, be sure to choose a hypoallergenic breed. And if you have small children, be sure to choose a calm and patient breed that will do well around kids.
Once again, check out the American Kennel Clubs – Dog Breed Selector
3. Introduce the Puppy Gradually
Once you have your new puppy home, it’s important to introduce him or her to your child gradually. Start by letting your child meet the puppy outside of the house or in another room before bringing him or her into the home. Once the puppy is comfortable with your child, you can begin allowing him or her more time inside the house.
Now, this can be tricky because, obviously, your goal is to surprise your child, so I would do the surprise and then start this step.
4. Be Prepared for Some Messes
Puppies are notoriously messy creatures, so it’s important to be prepared for some messes when you bring one into your home.
Be sure to have plenty of cleaning supplies on hand, and be prepared to vacuum and mop frequently. You should also expect accidents indoors and be sure to have plenty of potty pads or newspapers available.
5. Training Is Important
One of the most important things that you’ll need to do with your new puppy is train him or her properly. This includes teaching basic obedience commands such as sit, stay, come, down, and more.
It’s also important to socialize your puppy so that he or she is comfortable around other people and animals. You can enroll in a training class or read books and online articles about how to train your puppy effectively.
Check out Dr. Dunbar’s online training academy for a full course on how to train your Puppy right from the start: Dr. Dunbar’s Puppy Training Academy.
6. Exercise Is Essential
Puppies need plenty of exercise in order to stay healthy and happy, so be prepared to take yours on walks or runs several times per day.
If you live in an apartment or don’t have a lot of space for a dog, consider getting a smaller breed that doesn’t require as much exercise.
And if you have an energetic child, consider getting a high-energy breed that will enjoy playing fetch and other games together.
7. Proper Nutrition Is Key
It’s important to feed your new puppy a high-quality diet in order to keep him or her healthy. Choose a food that is specifically designed for puppies and make sure to follow the recommended feeding schedule on the package.
Avoid giving your puppy table scraps as this can lead to obesity and other health problems down the road.
So you’ve made the decision to get your child a puppy for their birthday (Christmas, Easter, Kuanza, Etc)…congratulations!
This is a big step and one that should not be taken lightly. But, if you’ve done your research and are ready to take on the challenge, then we hope our tips on surprising your child with a new puppy were helpful.
Now that the hard part is over, it’s time to have some fun showing off your new furry friend to everyone you know.
Be sure to check out these tips on how to train a puppy so they can become the best pet ever! – 14 Essential Puppy Training Tips.