Does your Boston hate the rain as much as mine? Bella would rather pee in the house than get her beautiful little self wet. If this is the case, you may need a raincoat.
In this guide, I have picked five great raincoats for Boston Terriers and their pros and cons. This will surely help you make an informed choice.
Note: This post has affiliate links, and I receive a small commission if you purchase one of these items.
Just in case you’re in a hurry, here’s a quick summary of the five raincoats I have selected for our pets:
Best Rain Coats For Boston Terriers – 2023 Top 5 Picks!
Watch this video of Bella refusing to go potty outside in the rain.
1. Our Top Pickand Best Budget Buy – HDE Dog Hooded Raincoats
Available in 18 colors and patterns, you and your Boston will love the hooded poncho raincoat from HDE Store. Their medium-sized raincoat is perfect for Bosties weighing up to 20 lb. (Check out later in this guide where I tell you exactly how to measure your Boston for the raincoat).
HDE raincoat features a 100% waterproof polyester coating that keeps your dog dry and warm. It also has a highly reflective surface making it ideal for walking your Boston under low-light conditions.
If you’re worried about the raincoat moving or getting displaced as your dog walks or runs, worry no more. There is a strap that goes under your dog’s belly, which helps keep the raincoat in place. This ensures a snug fit and keeps your Boston warm and dry.
- Easy to clean – simply toss it in the washer
- Durable – made with sturdy polyester
- Adjustable – ensures a snug fit with multiple straps
- Lightweight – easy to pack for travel.
- Affordable and value for money
- The hood may be too big for some Bostons.
You can buy this raincoat on Amazon here: HDE Dog Hooded Raincoat
2. Best Overall – Morezi Dog Zip-Up Dog Raincoat
Morezi zip-up raincoats are available in six sizes and six attractive colors. These raincoats have several great features:
First of all, Morezi raincoat comes with a zip and additional buttons which ensure that your Boston will remain dry under it.
Secondly, Morezi dog raincoat is sturdy and easy to clean – it can even be tossed in the washing machine or wiped with a wet cloth. Thus, even if your pet rolls in the mud, this jacket won’t be a hassle to clean.
Thirdly, the hood with drawstrings helps secure it so the rain stays out of your pet’s eyes and head. Furthermore, the hood can be detached on the days you don’t need it or for cleaning separately. The well-designed jacket also comes with a pocket to keep dog treats, keys, poop bags, etc.
- Durable – made with heavy-duty material that is water-resistant and easy to clean
- Reflective – great for low-light conditions.
- Several great features – removable hood, pocket, zip with buttons, etc.
- Some colors are translucent
- Difficult to put on for some dogs that move a lot.
You can buy this raincoat on Amazon here: Morezi Dog Raincoat
3. Best Warm Jacket for Rain/Snow – Gooby Padded Vest
Gooby padded vest is ideal for dogs in winter and wet cold weather.
Your pet will appreciate the toasty warm fleece lining on the inside of the jacket. It also comes with multiple padded layering.
There are D-rings on the top to attach your dog’s leash.
Gooby padded jacket also has a cover on the zip to prevent your dog’s fur from catching in it.
The jackets also come with a snap button to ensure a snug fit and to keep cold water and air from entering.
It is easy to put on and beneficial for dog parents whose furry kids wiggle a lot while wearing clothes.
- Thick and padded – great for bitter cold and wet conditions. Inner fleece – retains heat and keeps the damp and cold out
- Durable – nylon cover is sturdy and can withstand harsh weather elements
- Snap–on – buttons ease wearing and removal for dogs that struggle
- Not for pullers – If your dog pulls, then the jacket might come off.
- No hood present
You can buy this Gooby raincoat on Amazon here: Gooby Raincoat
Check Out: 7 Best Dog Harnesses for Boston Terriers
4. Best Reversible Rain Coat – Kuoser Warm Dog Coat
Kuoser winter jackets are reversible with one side having a plaid pattern while the opposite side with a solid color. The plaid cotton side is ideal for dry and cold days while the reverse side is excellent for wet, cold, and rainy days.
Kuoser jackets will keep your dog snug as a bug thanks to their thick polyester lining and the soft and warm cotton layering.
They also ensure a perfect fit with their neck and belly closure straps. The well-designed jackets from Kuoser come with opening slots to attach a leash/harness, for daily walks.
The jackets are available in a wide range of color and size options.
- Waterproof and windproof – keeps your dog warm and dry in light to moderate rain
- Adjustable – hook and loop closures around the neck and belly
- Leash hole – ideal for daily walks.
- Easy to put on
- Snug fit – has an elastic lining on one side of the neck closure to the other,
- Expensive but you get two jackets for the price of one!
- No hood present.
You can buy this raincoat on Amazon here: Kuoser Jackets
5. Best Reflective – NACOCO Dog Rain Coat
If you walk or bike with your Boston in low-light conditions, this raincoat from NACOCO is great to stay visible. It is perfect for those early morning and evening hours and even at night.
NACOCO raincoats are made with sturdy waterproof material that is also breathable and lightweight. They come with elastic straps to keep them in place so your Boston remains dry and warm underneath.
The drawstring hood helps keep your Bostie’s head dry as well. It also folds neatly out of the way if your dog doesn’t need it on dry days. The raincoat also comes with a Velcro pocket.
- High-quality waterproof, breathable material
- Available in 5 sizes and several color choices.
- Easy to put on.
- These are geared towards bigger Boston Terriers…not for smaller Bostons.
- The elastics on the back tend to chafe and rub against some dogs’ hind legs.
- Not for dogs with tails curled over their backs – the back gets wet completely. (Not an issue for the Boston Terrier breed!)
You can buy this raincoat on Amazon here: NACOCO Dog Rain Coat
How To Measure Your Boston Terrier for a Rain Coat?
When measuring your Boston for a raincoat or a jacket, use the following steps:
- Have your dog stand comfortably.
- Using a tape measure, note its chest girth. This is the widest part of the dog’s chest just behind the front legs measured around the dog’s body.
- Measure your dog’s neck girth – this is the widest part of the neck just a couple of inches above the front legs and around the body.
- Measure the back length. This is the distance from the base of the dog’s neck just above the shoulders to the base of the tail on the dog’s back.
- Most brands recommend a size according to the dog’s chest girth.
- Since most dog raincoats are not made with stretchy materials, they tend to fit snugly. Always add 2 inches to the chest girth measurement and select accordingly.
- If your dog is between measurements, choose a larger size.
Boston Terriers can come in a variety of sizes. Here are the approximate chest sizes in different-sized Bosties:
|Weight (in lb.)
|Chest Girth (inches)
|8 – 12
|16 – 19
|12 – 16
|18 – 21
|17 – 21
|20 – 23
|22 – 28
|22 – 25
Most Bostons do well with small to medium-sized raincoats, although some might need larger ones.
Remember: sizes vary from brand to brand, so always measure your pet and buy accordingly.
Do Boston Terriers Need to Wear Raincoats?
Boston Terriers have a single coat; they do not have an undercoat to protect them from the water, wind, and snow. Also, their coat is not naturally water-resistant or ‘oily’ as seen in breeds like Retrievers and Water Dogs.
Such dog breeds do not need raincoats as a raincoat cannot better protect them from the water than their natural fur coat does.
Bostons, on the other hand, need raincoats to stay warm and dry. They have very little fur on their body and need that extra layer of protection from the elements.
Boston Terriers are also short dogs. This implies that their bellies are close to the ground and tend to attract mud and dirty rainwater. A raincoat can protect them from this dirt and considerably ease your after-walk cleanup hassle.
If you have an old Boston with arthritis, walking in the cold wet weather in a raincoat or a padded waterproof jacket can help keep your dog’s joints warm and dry.
Similarly, suppose you have a young, unvaccinated Boston puppy or a Boston with some illness or compromised immune system. In that case, a raincoat is essential to prevent pneumonia caused by prolonged exposure to cold and wet weather.
Also Read: What Do Most Boston Terriers Die From?
Do Boston Terriers Get Cold?
According to veterinary experts, Bostons tend to get cold easily because they have a short single coat with a little fur.
This can cause them to shiver when the temperatures drop or if their fur gets wet due to rain or snow. That’s why your dog needs some kind of sweater or jacket to keep warm in wet and cold weather.
Final Takeaways – Best Rain Coats For Boston Terriers
The best raincoat for Boston Terriers is one that fits well and protects your pet from rain and dirty water as well as the biting cold wind.
The raincoat should be made of water-resistant or water-proof material and come with a hood.
It should feature multiple straps to tighten it, so it does not move too much when your Boston walks or runs. It should also come with a reflective color or lining to keep your pet visible in the dark.
Based on these needs, we have selected the HDE Dog Hooded Raincoats which has all these features and more. You and your Boston will love it for sure!
Do check out our other recommendations as well.